Here are some short tutorials to help you create a simple web page in Dreamweaver.
Hopefully they will answer some basic questions and refresh your memory from
our Dreamweaver classes.
Creating a site
Before a web page is made, a site should be created. Creating a site will
enable Dreamweaver to maintain links to all of your images and HTML files
and update your pages if you decide to change a file name in the Site
There are two ways to create a site. The first way is if you already have
some content somewhere on your hard drive (you have a folder with images and
copy). The other way is if you are starting totally from scratch and don't
have any material on your hard drive.
Linking to an existing site
- Launch Dreamweaver.
- An Untitled Document will open.
- From the top menu select Site>New Site.
- After Site Name is a highlighted window. Type
in a descriptive name. The site name for this site is Cognitive Horizons.
No one but you sees the site name. It is only so you find the correct site
if you have multiple sites.
- In the Local Root Folder click on the folder
next to the window.
- Locate the folder you want to use. When you find the correct folder, select
it (by clicking ONCE); then click on Select (Choose on the Mac).
- You will return to the Site Definitions window. Make sure the information
is correct next to Local Root Folder.
- Leave all selected and unselected boxes in their default state.
- Select Okay. Dreamweaver might now warn you
that it is creating the initial site cache. That is okay.
- The Site window will now open. On the right side should be your folder
with all the images and existing files inside.
- Right click on the folder's name (in the right window) and select New
- A new file called untitled.htm is created. If this is the first page of
your site (i.e your home page) name it index.htm. This
will be the first page that people see when they come to your site. It
must be called index.htm Sometimes ISPs support default.htm, welcome.htm,
home.htm but if you DON'T name it correctly, your page will not show up
on your site.
- Double-click on the new page and start creating your site!
Next, creating a site from scratch
Copyright 2003 | Something Graphic
20 November, 2003